The World's Only Non Treatment Approach
Core Differences, and how The Freedom Model is more successful than Treatment.
You have seen that we offer a non-12-step approach throughout our site, but it is important to note that we are also "non-treatment".
Treatment programs are designed to treat pathology or illness. The act of using alcohol or drugs is not an illness; it is a behavior and a choice. Using medications and therapies to treat behaviors is not effective because all people maintain their power of choice over their own behaviors at all times.
At Saint Jude's we developed a comprehensive curriculum, The Freedom Model, with three primary goals:
- To debunk the mythology surrounding addiction and provide accurate information supported by the most rigorous research;
- To provide people with practical exercises designed so they will become fully self-aware of thoughts, behaviors, motivations, interpersonal relationships, virtually all aspects of themselves; and
- To encourage and assist people as they begin to envision their future life and ultimately make a plan for their personal fulfillment and success.
Where treatment seeks to control and is based on lies, distortions and bad science; The Freedom Model's non-treatment methods are rooted in personal freedom, the latest research in neuroscience, and common sense.
Stand Behind the Addiction Science
Philosophy Position on Empowerment
Human Relationship with Patient / Guest
- On Addiction
Beliefs are Different than Facts
More than the Philosophy. The Culture that Drives the Results
Ways in which Treatment Centers Teach the Disease Concept of Addiction VS The Freedom Model
Where we stand regarding your Privacy VS the Medical Model
Personalized Program VS One Size Fits All
- Knows the fact that brain tissue can be re-mapped through mindfully changed habits and changes in thinking patterns
- Teaches the fact that addiction is not genetically inherited
- Uses no labels or judgments, ever
- The fact that addiction is not a disease, instead it is a series of freely chosen repeated choices, habits and behaviors
- Uses a freedom and choice based educational model, with no control or judgment whatsoever
- Uses education as basis of the model
- Non-Religious , but accepts all personal beliefs as valid for the individual
- Implements a completely Personalized Program with small class sizes and one-on-one education when requested by the guest
- Believes you have a brain disease.You are powerless. The "Disease of Addiction" is Incurable
- Believes you genetically inherit an addiction gene. All Family Members are Diseased
- Uses labels such as addict, diseased and alcoholic.
- Believes that people have a chronic disease of addiction.
- Creates limits & boundaries throughout treatment and in therapy sessions.
- Uses therapy as basis of program.
- Religious Affiliation Incorporated In Treatment. "You Cannot Change and Only God can Save You"
- Implements Group Therapy Sessions and 12 Step Group meetings. You're In Treatment and Forever Attached to "Recovery" – You're never free.